Ancient Home Remedies That Are Still In Use Today
During ancient times, people treated all sorts of diseases with weird ways compared to our modern standards. I mean, think of these practices before, surgeries with no anesthetics, herbal tonics which can poison than cure and so on. It is a wrong time to live back then, but thanks to their experimentation, it paved the way from to modern medicine. Anyways, here are the most common ancient home remedies used back then.
While being heralded as something that only nobles and aristocrats can afford, spices also revel for their healing properties.
- Cinnamon – Lowers blood sugar levels and can combat diabetes.
- Turmeric – The roots contains curcumin, which is a potent anti-inflammatory substance.
- Cayenne Pepper – It contains capsaicin which reduces appetite, thus helps in losing weight.
- Ginger – It has the same anti-inflammatory properties as turmeric. It is also used to treat nausea.
- Garlic – aside from driving away vampires, it also promotes better heart health if consumed.
- Cloves – This contains eugenol, which is a potent anti-inflammatory chemical.
- Coriander Seeds – A common spice used in oriental cooking and used for thousands of years as a digestive aid.
- Nutmeg – Same as cloves, it also contains eugenol.
- Anise – It is as an anti-flatulence agent for thousands of years, as well as a remedy for cough and colds.
Teas are also known as the oldest beverage that man consumes. Furthermore, teas can be infused with other things to make them more flavorful and potent.
- Green Tea – The most commonly consumed tea in the world. It contains antioxidants that can burn fat, relieves stress and can prevent cancer.
- White Tea – Considered as the most potent anti-cancer substance compared to other varieties of teas.
- Pu-erh Tea – This is a fermented kind of team which is sometimes considered as black tea too. Studies show that this kind of tea lowers cholesterol levels.
- Black Tea – This has the highest caffeine content of any teas. And it also protects the lungs from second-hand smoking.
- Oolong Tea – This tea is also considered as a powerful weight loss supplement. And it is also known to lower cholesterol levels.
Aside from spices, herbs are as the first plants to used as medicine due to their aroma. And also their healing properties when ingested.
- Catnip – Yep, not just cats, but humans too benefit from this plant. The plant’s tops are a cure for stomach issues and even stress.
- Mint – Aside from its refreshing taste, it also helps in digestion and soothes any stomach issues.
- Thyme – A robust natural antiseptic used to treat congestion, flatulence, and coughs.
- Basil – Increases the appetite, and can be used as a poultice to remedy cuts and wounds.
- Sage – An excellent remedy for skin infections, as well as a solution for women who have irregular menopause.
Other Ancient Home Remedies
Other plants, like flowers, fruits and seeds are also used more medicinal purposes.
- Korean Ginseng – It is commonly used as an adaptogen which strengthens the body. Thus, making it less susceptible to stress. It also improves the immune system. And as well as assisting blood flow and can cure erectile dysfunction for men.
- Astragalus – The roots of this perennial plant is used to cure immunodeficiency. And as well as increasing the production of white blood cells in the body.
- Pot Marigold – A plant that works wonders on the skin. Especially against insect bites, wounds, and stings.
- Tea Tree – Is a common herbal medicine that is used to treat hair loss and headache. It is also used to cure fever, burns, and other fungal infections.
- Aloe Vera – Is also known as the Lily of the Dessert. And, used by ancient Chinese and Egyptians as a remedy for burns. It is also used to lower fever and as a beauty treatment.
These herbs and other plant matter are the basis of modern medicine. People have tried and failed countless times until they have perfected the cure for certain diseases. Indeed, plants are our most reliable source of remedies. Especially, for different kinds of conditions.