Have you ever experienced a burning sensation around your chest? Or throat that sometimes causes you to vomit? Then, you may be having heartburn. Heartburn usually happens when excessive amounts of gastric acid go up to the esophagus. And this subsequently causes a burning sensation in the throat. And sometimes may go up even to the mouth on some cases. Most people may experience it like once a month or week. But, some people have severe cases of these that they experience it almost daily. Thus, if left untreated, it may result in other more severe conditions like Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. However, we can have options on how to relieve this, and there are home remedies for heartburn as well.
First Things First – Heartburn or Heart Attack
Let me clarify this first; these two conditions are different. Either on how each works and of course their individual effects. Heartburn isn’t fatal right off the bat, while heart attack surely is fatal most of the time. Also, in heartburn, it is the digestive system which is involved. And while heart attack includes the circulatory system.
To sum it up, heartburn can be easily remedied most of the time. On the other hand, a heart attack happens without any warnings. And hospitalization is needed to save the person suffering from it.
Signs And Symptoms of Heartburn
The common telltale symptom of heartburn is a burning sensation around the esophageal region. Thus, which is akin to drinking hot water. Therefore, this commonly results in chest pains when eating or lying down as well. And as well as that burning sensation in the throat. Also, another sign of heartburn is that sometimes people taste something sour and acidic in their mouth. Most of these symptoms usually give a minor annoyance at first. If this is untreated, it may cause intense vomiting and may damage the esophagus lining.
Home Remedies For Heartburn
There are everyday household items that can combat heartburn aside from necessary antacids. Since Heartburn is caused by gastric acid going up to the esophagus, then you need a base to neutralize it. A typical household item used for this is baking soda. And if mixed with water and taken, can temporarily relieve heartburn. The mustard, fermented foods, ginger tea, and chewing gum, are also an excellent temporary remedy for heartburn.
OtherHome Remedies For Heartburn
There are also other means that you can do to decrease the occurrence further and ultimately get rid of heartburn.
- Sleep on an incline – This will enable your gastric acid to stay down on your stomach and won’t rise to your esophagus.
- Do not smoke – Smoking makes the body relax. And it also makes the valve between the esophagus and stomach relaxed too. Thus, this enables the stomach acid to reach up and cause heartburn.
- Limit or avoid alcohol – It also works the same as smoking. And it also increases the acid production in the stomach too.
- Avoid spicy food – We all love them. But sometimes we need to avoid it, especially if we are suffering heartburn. Spicy foods also increase the effects of stomach acid already in your esophagus. Thus, making heartburn even worse.
- Keep a Fit body and stay away from Stress – Being overweight and stressful can increase the stomach’s acid production. Living a healthy lifestyle and staying away from stress will normalize gastric acid production.
Heartburn can be a common occurrence to some. Others may don’t mind it. But if left untreated, it may cause a lot of issues in the future. The good thing about this disease is, antacids can quickly remedy it. Or some household products. But to eradicate this disease and normalize gastric acid production, healthy living, as well as the mindset, is that it is to it