Gout is a form of arthritis that is caused by increased uric acid levels in the blood. Once blood uric acid level increases, it gets accumulated in joints resulting in inflammation, discomfort, and pain. The disease is often characterized by severe pain, swelling, redness, and tenderness in one or more joints, especially the big toe.
Causes of Gout
Gout is caused by depositing urate crystals in the joints causing inflammation. Urate crystals are formed by increased uric acid levels in the blood which is formed by the breakdown of purines and other natural substances.
Uric acid is usually dissolved in the blood and is excreted in the urine by the kidney. But sometimes the body produces more uric acid or the kidney excretes less uric acid which eventually results in the formation of sharp needle-like crystals called urate crystals.
Symptoms of Gout
The symptoms are usually sudden and include:
- Intense pain in joints
- Lingering discomfort
- Inflammation and redness
- Unable to move joints
Complications of Gout
The severe conditions associated with Gout includes:
- Recurrent Gout – it may occur with or without symptoms and once left untreated results in erosion and destruction of a joint.
- Advanced Gout – untreated Gout may result in tophi in fingers, hands, feet, elbows, or Achilles tendons. It is not painful but results in swelling and tenderness.
- Kidney Stones – urate crystals may deposit in the urinary tract resulting in kidney stones.
Herbal In Treating Gout
Ginger being a culinary herb is highly recommended as herbal medicine in case of inflammation. Several studies verified the use of Ginger in the treatment of Gout as it can reduce the levels of uric acid in the blood. Ginger can be used for external application or intake as herbal medicine.
- Mix 1 spoon of Ginger paste in hot water. Soak a dry cloth and give a pleasant massage in areas of pain for 15-30 minutes.
- Take two tablespoons of Ginger paste and boil it. Consume 3 cups per day.
Dandelion tea and its extract are proven to improve the condition of liver and kidney function. It is used to lower the levels of uric acid in conditions of kidney dysfunction.
- Celery Seeds
Celery Seeds are considered to be one of the traditional home remedies to treat urinary infection and Gout. It is found to treat gout by reducing inflammation and swelling.
- Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek is an herbal seed with light green leaves and white flowers. It is used to treat gout as it reduces both internal and external inflammation.
- Add one tablespoon of Fenugreek Seeds in water and soak it overnight.
- The next day, drink the water in the morning.
This will help you in reducing the pain and swelling.
Garlic plays an important role in treating Gout. It will reduce the levels of uric acid in the blood thereby preventing the formation of urate crystals and their deposition in joints. Eating garlic will treat the root cause of Gout.
- If you choose garlic for remedy then you must be ready to eat it raw.
- Swallow one pod of garlic or finely chopped pieces of garlic.
Cherries are found to reduce the risk of Gout by 35%. Both cherries and cherry extract will highly help you reduce the effect of Gout.
- Consume 10-13 cherries three times a day.
Several herbal methods of treatment other than the above-mentioned methods are also available to treat Gout. Herbal medicine will help to reduce the pain, swelling, and redness and clears the Gout disease from the root cause. You can switch over to Western or conventional treatment in case the disease condition is severe.