Sinus Infection or Sinusitis is the swelling or inflammation of the air cavities in the nose. Commonly, the air is present in these tissues. The germs or fluid accumulate on to block the cavity. It develops into an infection. Moreover, allergies or chemical irritation also cause sinusitis. It does not usually spread from one person to another. In this article, we describe the symptoms of sinus infection and other essential details about it. Hence, you must read the following post attentively.
What Are Sinus?
Sinus is air-filled hollow cavities. We have four pairs of the sinus cavity. These are:
- Frontal sinus (in the forehead)
- Maxillary sinus (behind cheeks)
- Ethmoid sinuses (between the eyes)
- Sphenoid sinus (deep behind the ethmoids)
The inner cells present in each sinus are epithelial or mucus-secreting cells. Their primary function is to warn and humidify the inhaled air. It also insulates the surrounding organs and increases voice resonance. When the inflammation occurs to block it, it leads to the infection.
Types Of Sinusitis
It is the infection caused by the virus. In this, you may experience symptoms like cold. The mucus is slightly yellow in it. It can last for 7-10 days.
In Bacterial sinusitis, the nasal discharge becomes thick and yellowish. The nasal passages become swollen. You also experience mucus in the back of the throat. The doctor can treat it using the antibiotics. It takes from 10 to 14 days to clear up symptoms.
The allergy can also cause inflammation. It leads to the infection known as Allergic Sinusitis. Allergy can swell the mucous membranes. Hence, it will block the normal drainage. Its main symptoms are sneezing, itchy eyes, throat, or nose.
It is the worst sinusitis in which symptoms last for months. The experiencing of too much cough in the morning or night is a symptom of chronic sinusitis. You must consult the doctor immediately if you are experiencing the symptoms for more than a week.
Signs And Symptoms For Sinus Infection
There are various signs and symptoms of sinusitis. The people suffering from it may show multiple symptoms at a time. The following are the symptoms of this infection that you must know.
Symptoms For Sinus
- The person experiences a headache most of the time. It is because of the complete or partial blockage of the cavity. Furthermore, the bending will increase the pain in the head.
- You may experience swelling or facial tenderness on those facial areas, where the sinus touches.
- You may feel pain or pressure because of the inflammation of sinuses.
- In bacterial sinus infection, you can notice a discolored and cloudy nasal drainage.
- You may feel nasal stuffiness known as congestion.
- There is an overproduction of mucus by the sinus. It sometimes drops to the throat tissue and irritates it.
- You will experience a sore throat due to inflammation of the tissue.
- You may experience high or low fever.
- Coughing is a common sign of this infection. It is the body’s attempt to clear the irritants present in the throat.
- You will feel fatigued due to fever or coughing.
- The bacteria may generate bad breath.
- You may experience tooth, ear, or eye pain due to pressure.
- The experience of itching or sneezing. You can also feel itching in eyes or other allergy symptoms.